20060610

Silence

I don't recall any other sounds
A desert of silence
Among the heartbeats
Expelled air choked-or held

Clouds creep across the sky
Pursing lips unvoiced
Leaves screwing up faces
The insolence of ordinary keys
A sprawling paper clip
The pallid clock-that picks at life

Is this what silence is then?
Something we speak of
Two whole minutes of it
Birds do not respect its emptiness
Distant cables-hum the rhythm of life
Nothing will stop them
Who will silence the dog or sheep?
I do not ask their observance
Or question their irreverence

I take each curtain by its throat
Squeezing the life from each
Tear off the tears-distasteful
As the pointlessness of beauty
And wait patiently only for him
Him who will silence us all

11 Comments:

Blogger Carbanion Tolodine said...

A moment of silence is a gift for sadness not for life birds give songs to us. That's a gift of life.

Good text.

Bye

10:45 PM  
Blogger Russell Ragsdale said...

Silence as the hightened awareness of background noise, as an angry urge - Sad, poignant, beautiful.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog!

"I take each curtain by its throat
Squeezing the life from each"

- Sumptuous stuff!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Heart wrenching truth so beautifully woven, Subtleties and all.. Very nice sue :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kai said...

nice to meet u 2...

glad u enjoy them....

9:02 PM  
Blogger Neetee said...

Oh my! This is such a brilliant piece! It's full of wisdom and the kind of questions to become lost in for the good of it.

Thank you for such a beautiful piece of work!

1:42 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

The silence that I long for is trapped away from my doors ...I wish to open the door so my place can be its home but it refuses to accept my embrace...It tells me I have to find it within me

Love the silence as You can See

6:15 AM  
Blogger Pincushion said...

So very evocative!
Silence is the sound of awareness..
silence is the home that all sound must ultimately come to..
:)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Carba you're so right silence is a gift

Russel some noise really get to you I once nearly destroyed a clock when I was a child> It kept ticking, I tried muffling the sound with various things and eventually at two in the morning I took it apart

Liam your blog is great too and thank-you

S Moon thank-you

Kai welcome

Q Neetee thank-you your latest picture is beautiful

Prmod nie to hear from you

Nasra I am respectful of silence and gard mine gealously-I have kids and sometimes it's hard to find
a tribute to Gulnaz is a lovely idea I hope she's OK

Pins hi how are you?

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Fin today the birds are all soggy and twitching in the warm rain, so much for british summer they all look so miserable

2:32 PM  
Blogger steve said...

The aching wait. Nicely done.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home