20070716

Two Poems

Ghost Words

There is a child who died here
He died yesterday and today
And he will die again tomorrow
He is anywhere you care to imagine
Without a roof or soft words
Perhaps on these very stones
He walked taking a smooth one
And turning it in his palm
As any boy, maybe yours, might
He was probably cold
Let us believe that he was
That his feet were sore
And his soul an insubstantial shadow
Yet even this luxury he sold
For a simple thing like bread
The sort our children leave uneaten
On a clean plate that is their right
But they do not deserve

Girl

I am my mother now. Just
a girl’s careless words echo
In a hall full of anger. In a hall
with a red carpet - twin
decades ago. I slammed
the door, leaving her behind
In my helpless silence




10 Comments:

Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Hi all still coursed up to the eyeballs but really enjoying it and feel as if it's having a prefound affect on my writing if not my spelling - so just something to be going along with untill the holidays start
Love to all role on last week of term
Sue
xx

7:45 PM  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Very nicely done Sue and i love the poignant edge to the write! Beautifully put! Glad i came by even if its been long, your write is always a refreshing change!! :)

12:06 PM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

God Sue that was awesome!!
'Girl' made me cry!

what course are you on...its good!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Shubhodeep said...

hmmm... do i sense a hint of despair here???

nice work though... long time since i saw u at my blog..

5:34 AM  
Blogger Nicole Braganza said...

These two poems had such a profound effect on me - they moved me completely. So touching and simple and beautiful.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Excellent, very moving, the effect is very dramatic, well done

12:05 AM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

just wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog...
i'm not getting much time nowadays to post or surf and that is why i have not ben able to visit your blog more often.

2:26 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

its been long long time ...how are you ...

7:51 AM  
Blogger Russell Ragsdale said...

These are vivid and haunting! I am deeply moved by the candor and longing I have found here. Truely beautiful Sue!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Hi Nasra, I'm fine I've just been working all hours and haven't had a moment, hope you're well too

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home