20050711

Tagged By Gulnaz

Top Five Things I Miss About My Childhood

1)My red wellies and lylac jumper, I loved them so much my mum had to sneak them away at night to wash them. I was heart broken when I grew out of them.

2)Making food out of mud and enjoying every minute of it. We our gang had a sort of den on the railway bank, which was right next to our house. In the summer it used to be so overgrown they used to have to burn it back. But until they did, it was our jungle, desert island, different planet anything at all. We made mud food in an old pan, slid down the bank on an old vacume body and hung up complex mechanisms to deter baddies. As a parent I'm surprised our parents trusted us to play there, but they had told us that if we went within three yards of the top of the bank, any passing train would suck us in with its powerfull underdraft. Naturally we never tested the theory.

3)My panda bear, I had it for years untill it became so smelly and unwashable that my parents gave me a choice, either keep it but have a new clean one for bed time or they knew a lady who could re-cover her for me( yes she was a girl). Being totaly gulable I opted for the re-cover. I still haven't forgiven my mum for telling me what really happend Iwas (in my twenties), I was devistated.(however you spell that)

4)My dad reciting poems and stories to me (not unlike you Gulnaz)he too has a wonderful speaking voice and the lovely glowing feeling that closeness of a cuddle and a really good orator, (you know what I mean). Magic, I carried it on with my children and hence wrote and illustrated a whole book for them. When they were young the'd come in and say we're doing islands at school write a poem islands and do a picture of us and our mates on one for tomorrow. I think they just thought that was a normal thing to ask your mum.

5) My Nana, we were very close and I once was allowd to spend a whole week with her when I was about eight. All on my own, no smelly brother. She was very beautiful for her age and I remember years later on my wedding morning thinking if I could just look like that when I'm old I won't complain. Sadly she died when I was pregnant with my first child so she never met my children. But I felt like a little of her came back to me in my son. Sorry didn't mean to bring everyone down

9 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Oh what such a lovely warm feeling! Just reading about spotlight memories is great! It sounds real well, er, readable...flowy...poety if you know what I mean.

Had a quick note from Paul Sutherland today to say he's conseidering my poems for DreamCatcher. I doubt any will make it though, I'm not happy with two of them, I don't feel they flow right. Anyway, gonna do a bit tonight, boys in bed - Matt just back from Scotland and Jake had a fun bath after coming home black bright! as they do :-)

Laura

7:29 PM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Laura, don't listen to those bad voices, of corse you'll get in you have once before and I think your poetry is even better now. (it was good before obviously)

Usually best to put them away for a few days and look at them afresh otherwise you can mistakenly change things. Why do they call it black bright, black can't be bright except in the North Pole I suppose then it would be bright.

8:34 PM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

Thanks for doing this. I really enjoyed reading your answers, getting a glimpse into you. It is so wonderful the way you have created stories for your kids. You are a terrific mum. I hope i will be a good mother too, someday, i honestly doubt it sometimes.
Thanks for sharing such warm and moving moments.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Dear Gulnaz, the truly bad parents in this life are the ones who don't worry about what kind of parent they will be. I'm sure if you worry about it you will be wonderful, anyway it's a fact that the more magical you're own childhood the greater your expectations of parenting skills are, you'll therefore never feel you've lived up to them but you're much more likley to do a reasonable job if you try. My children are all but one teenagers now and they will often voice their disapointement in my parenting abilities as teenagers do, as did I. But to coin a famouse frase.

When I was young I thought my parents knew everything.

When I got older I thought I knew everything.

When I had my children I coulden't believe how much my parents had improved in such a short time

Glad you enjoyed my answers I thouroghly enjoyed yours. excuse spelling

11:08 AM  
Blogger gulnaz said...

thank you soo much for your lovely answer!!! *hugs**
:)))

i hope you get better soon. eat and sleep, lots. ;)

12:15 PM  
Blogger amiethinggoes said...

so u do tags! i have to keep this in mind so that i can include you for my future victims.
btw i like your childhood memories, it showed how sensitive and caring you are.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Gama I know I'm sorry but I do miss her. Having trouble posting on your blogg can never remember my blog address. Brilliant poem though.

Thank-you Aime I'm sure I got more contemplative sinse I had the kids It does make you re examin the world through different eyes

6:55 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

great reading your stories. you were lucky to have been close to your grandparents. mine lived far away and i never got to hear their stories.
thanks for sharing some pieces of you :)

3:01 AM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

Very evocative and vivid. Also reminds me that I need to do my own meme...

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home